It’s time to make room for a new red-colored soup in your life! Check out this delicious soup recipe that’s perfect for any meal, warm or chilled.
Your first thought likely goes to tomato-based soups, like gazpacho or a classic tomato, when you think of a red soup, but this Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato soup will brighten up your summer day just as much. It’s vibrantly colorful, plus rich in fiber and many vitamins and minerals.
In fact, one medium-sized red pepper contains 169% of your daily requirement for vitamin C, making it one of the highest sources for this antioxidant. You’ll also get a high dosage of vitamin A from both the red peppers and sweet potatoes to keep your eye health in check.
Make it for dinner tonight, and you can enjoy diving into its amazing flavors into lunch the next day as a chilled soup. The recipe is light, vegan, and great with some toasted bread to on the side for dipping.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion scapes, or green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 (15 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 quart (32 oz) vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch basil, thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Toasted baguette slices (optional)
Read on for the full recipe and instructions.
Anne Assassi, MS, RDN is a private practice dietitian and health coach based in the San Francisco Bay Area. A lover of home-cooked culinary creations, Anne helps individuals discover the art of healthy eating as an enjoyable creative experience in our homes that allows us to be our healthiest selves. Connect with Anne to create your most inspired and healthiest kitchen!