These savory seasonal bites are both nourishing and satisfying. Let’s see how easily sweet potatoes can brighten up your holiday menu.
So simple to put together, these healthy sweet potato rounds are sure to impress, and will taste like you’re serving a decadent treat! Celebrate being together, and brighten up your plate with this flavorful fall delight.
Sweet potatoes are a top source of the phytonutrient beta-carotene. The body converts beta-carotene to Vitamin A, a powerhouse antioxidant linked to good eyesight, anti-aging, and a reduced risk for certain types of cancer. In fact, one large sweet potato contains more than 100% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin A.
Sweet potatoes are also high in Vitamin C, B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin. B6 is responsible for the breakdown of homocysteine, which is a substance that contributes to the hardening of arteries and blood vessels. The potassium content of sweet potatoes also helps naturally lower blood pressure by maintaining the fluid balance of electrolytes. Sweet potatoes are a healthy carbohydrate source, high in dietary fiber and low on the glycemic index, to aid in slow steady release of blood sugar and healthy weight maintenance.
Probiotics, also known as the ‘good’ bacteria, are tiny microorganisms that are believed to provide various health benefits to the human gastrointestinal tract. Yogurt is a great source of probiotics, brimming with live active cultures that are good for your gut and your waistline. Probiotics have been linked to improving immunity and digestion, boosting overall health (especially in your gut!), and in some individuals, has even been linked to helping reduce the symptoms of lactose intolerance. Loaded with high-quality protein, calcium, and vitamin D, consuming yogurt on a regular basis can play an important role in building muscle and maintain strong bones.
Enjoy eating these nourishing bites with family and friends this holiday season!
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup plain flavored whole-milk yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Toast sliced almonds with olive oil, salt, and pepper at 350° F for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes, leave unpeeled and raw. Cut off ends, and thinly slice into ¼ inch rounds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sweet potatoes with coconut oil, and salt.
- Arrange sliced sweet potato in a row on non-stick baking sheet.
- Place in oven, and roast at 400° F for 20 to 25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and crisp.
- To make Yogurt Dill Sauce, in a mixing bowl combine yogurt, dill, and red wine vinegar. Whisk together and season with lemon zest, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Remove rounds from oven and let cool. Plate sweet potato rounds onto a serving platter, and top with a dollop of yogurt dill sauce. Garnish with roasted almonds and fresh dill.
VIDEO: LR CREATIVE // IMAGE: BERNARD GABRIEL
Kim Denkhaus, MS, RD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with her private practice based in Los Angeles and San Francisco. In a modern-day society focused on convenience and fast-paced lifestyles, Kim is on a mission to help people reconnect with food in a sustainable, healthier way that will help them appreciate where their food comes from and empower them to use use whole foods to fuel and nourish their bodies.